What is the Importance of Mathematics in Life?
- Aug 04, 2016
- Sudipto Das
The answer to this question cannot be provided in a single sentence. The importance of this subject in our life is endless. This subject is all around us. You are involved in this complex subject of mathematics in your everyday lives without even realising that fact. When you are involved in shopping for your daily needs, you are implementing various math calculations. You might be aware of the fact or might be unaware of the same but there’s no denying this fact that you did solve certain sums to get to a result that can be the amount that needs to be paid or the discounted price and so on. We’ll try to highlight some of the fundamental significance of mathematics in this article. Let’s start our article without further ado.
Life is not a bed of roses. Problems are bound to come at some point, and you’ll have to handle them accordingly. Mathematics is the only subject that can develop critical problem-solving ideas in individuals. This is because math sums are solved in a step-by-step manner. The same technique must be followed while solving a critical problem in life. A complex problem must be divided into smaller simpler achievable targets. Then solving those small problems in a step-by-step manner, you’ll surely come to the final result. That’ll be the solution that you were looking for. Mathematics is the best way to know about such ways in a whole.
For making simple life decisions
A simple choice in life might depend on various math skills. For example, choosing the right investment policy does require some basic math skills. Similarly, calculating the trends of the stock market, insurance rate and other similar activities do incorporate a whole lot of math.
Sports and games
Sports and games are a part and parcel of life these days. You might be very good at sports, or you might not be, but you surely are an enthusiast in at least a few forms of sports/games. Mathematics is incorporated by most sports/games. The entire statistics department of any sports is completely based on mathematics. Do you want to calculate the percentage of possession of your favourite football team in a match? You can do that by incorporating the percentage concept of mathematics. Similarly, there are many other influences of math on sports and games.
The number of career prospects in this subject is pretty huge. Almost all dream jobs are more or less linked to this intricate subject of mathematics.
- Information technology: All latest technology are somewhat related to the field of mathematics. Any new app or a gadget is involved with mathematics, either you are aware of it or not. Certain programming concepts inculcate a whole lot of mathematics like a stack, queue, tree, etc. You should have a good base in mathematics to be successful in the field of information technology. This field undoubtedly does bear some lucrative career prospects.
- Animation: An animator utilises the concepts of linear algebra to show the ways by which an object can be rotated and shifted. The same object can be made larger and smaller through the implementation of linear algebraic concepts. A career in animation does have some enticing prospects both from the point of view of finance and satisfaction.
- Astronomy: The field of astronomy bears immense career prospects. The backbone of this intricate field of science is based on mathematics. The astronauts use mathematics to perform precise calculations related to a specific space expedition, starting from the ways through which the spacecraft leaves the atmosphere of the Earth to the methods by which the astronauts pilot the spacecraft. Students who are interested in taking this career up in future must develop a strong base in the field of mathematics.
- Architecture: Architects implement some math concepts to computing the square footage of buildings and rooms, to calculate the spaces required for some purposes like parking, plumbing, etc. It’s an enticing career indeed and do require a sound mathematical mind.
- Fashion technology: Fashion designers utilise perimeter, area, diameter and various other math based algorithms to create designs as well as calculate the specific amount and cost of the fabric required for that particular design.
There are many other career fields that are indirectly linked to the field of mathematics. We have highlighted those specific fields that are seemingly more enticing and lucrative than others in the same bracket.
Mathematics is all around us. Even if you do not wish to take up a degree in college that’s not directly related to mathematics, you’ll certainly encounter some math influences in the very course that you will pursue in college. You’ll certainly see many influences of mathematics in daily life. We reckon that you should master the very basics of the subject at least. If you face trouble in the subject, you can opt for after-school online math classes to help you out I the matter. That will surely lay the foundation to a successful career.
Sudipto writes technical and educational content periodically for wizert.com and backs it up with extensive research and relevant examples. He's an avid reader and a tech enthusiast at the same time with a little bit of “Arsenal Football Club” thrown in as well. He's got a B.Tech in Electronics and Instrumentation.
Follow him on twitter @SudiptoDas1993
Latest posts by Sudipto Das (see all)
- What can robotics teach children? - Jun 28, 2017
- The different pros and cons of implementing virtual reality in classrooms - Jun 21, 2017
- How to tutor a child suffering from ADHD: 6 tips - Jun 16, 2017
- 7 of the finest science apps for kids - Jun 06, 2017
- 5 amazing benefits of online tutoring for tutors - May 18, 2017